Wednesday, July 09, 2008

What's happening 7-9-08

Hi. Jack/Dad did pre-operative tests yesterday and we talked with the doctor. FYI, he is considered the 4th best surgeon in the world for these types of surgeries. Hope that helps some.

The pre-op tests are baseline tests to compare with after Dad's operation. Today he's getting an angiogram. That is a test that goes up through his femoral artery and into his heart and they take pictures. I had one done and it was very cool to see. They are concerned that maybe his bypass did not take and there may be a problem there, but there may not be. And they would like to get a good look at his failing valve.

Somehow the graft that they placed in your Dad is crooked. That's why the artery is leaking. Dad thinks it may be related to a 2-hour coughing fit that he had while I was up at Teletha's. He swallowed something down the wrong way and couldn't stop coughing. It was pretty bad. Anyway, whatever the reason, the graft is not straight into his heart. The doctor says there is an option that he may ("may") be able to attach the valve back up to the graft. If so that would be great. Otherwise, Dad wants the tin man valve. He doesn't want to be opened up again. As you may understand.

He's been great, but he is not really happy to go through this pain again. It will be much harder for him this second time, because he knows what is going to happen. He does appreciate the calls, please keep in touch with him (not this morning). He's being very brave (as always) and wants to do this so he can keep being a father and grandfather, so let him know how much you love him.

I'm lucky, my sister, Leslie, is coming out to be with me for 3 three days. Especially the day of the surgery. She keeps me sane. Last time she brought coloring books. I was so stressed out, she brought those out and we started laughing and colored coloring books for Jack's hospital room. She got me through those 12 hours of surgery.

I'll be more on top of things tomorrow and let you know how it's going as the nurse tells me that way you can know, as soon as I do, how things are progressing.

Love you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home